The first stage of work on the body was to repair the windscreen frame, this had suffered badly on the drivers side and had been “repaired” with masking tape and painted over!
Before Christmas we started work on the roof, this continued on New Years Eve as planned…
There is some difficulty in rebuilding a gearbox produced 50 years ago, particularly one that is completely worn out. Most parts are no longer available, and those that are may be poor quality reproductions.
One big job we have known about since day one is the roof, we bought the car with the C pillars chopped off at half their height and some questionable replacement C pillars included.
The original engine did run, but after more thorough inspection it was deemed to be beyond economic repair. Unfortunately, the only replacement engines readily available were later 1296cc ones.
After moving the car, the dismantling continued with the remainder of the body, engine, suspension and running gear being removed.
The car stayed dormant in my garage for the rest of 2016, but at the start of this year we made a big list of parts to order, and made a start. The first task was to take the body off, so just the chassis and bulkhead could be taken to my uncle’s house, where the rest of the restoration work would take place. This happened mid January.
The body came off with ease and was left in the garage until the chassis work was completed:
I first heard about the Mongol Rally when a team who were entering the 2016 rally posted on one of the forums I regularly browse, they were preparing a 1960 Singer Gazelle for the rally. This then led me on to youtube, watching various team’s past antics to get a sense of what was involved.